- 1Of, relating to, or denoting the penultimate Pleistocene glaciation in Britain, identified with the Saale of northern Europe (and perhaps the Riss of the Alps).More example sentences
- It is uncertain whether the ice during the Wolstonian stage affected the region.
- Scourse therefore suggested that the sequence might be attributable to sediments deposited at the end of an interglacial, or possibly during an interstadial within the Wolstonian cold stage.
- This trough subsequently formed a lake basin which filled with sediment during the entire interglacial and part of the ensuing Wolstonian glacial stage.
1960s: from Wolston, the name of a village in central England, + -ian.
More definitions of WolstonianDefinition of Wolstonian in:
- The British & World English dictionary