- The African clawed frog, much used in embryological research and formerly in pregnancy testing, as it produces eggs in response to substances in the urine of a pregnant woman.
More example sentences
- Xenopus laevis, family Pipidae
- Similarly, studies on the frog Xenopus laevis show POMC mRNA expression in the same regions.
- They were first isolated from the African clawed frog, Xenopus laevis.
- The new species, X. arabiensis, differs from other Xenopus in its long maxilla and maxillary tooth row.
late 19th century: modern Latin, from xeno- 'strange' + Greek pous 'foot'.
More definitions of XenopusDefinition of Xenopus in:
- The British & World English dictionary