(also Yale lock)
noun[often as modifier] • trademark
- A type of lock with a latch bolt and a flat key with a serrated edge.More example sentences
- Their front door was fitted with a Yale lock, two bolts and a security chain.
- The frame itself was nothing short of a battlefield to the indiscriminate slaughter of Yales and Stubbs.
- The front door, on a Yale lock, clicked shut behind them, and they stood together, hunched up, in the recessed doorway.
mid 19th century: named after Linus Yale, Jr., who invented the mechanism it uses.
More definitions of YaleDefinition of Yale in:
- The British & World English dictionary