- The customs union of German states in the 19th century.More example sentences
- The Zollverein, or Customs Union, led by Prussia, was creating a larger and larger free trade zone within the German Confederation.
- German industrialisation had received its initial impetus from the Zollverein in the 1830s, leading eventually to unification of the German states under Bismarck.
- Building on its tradition of the Zollverein, a customs union of German states, the newly unified Germany steadily pursued a liberal trade policy.
from German Zoll 'customs' + Verein 'union'.
More definitions of ZollvereinDefinition of Zollverein in:
- The British & World English dictionary