(Of a menu or restaurant) listing or serving food that can be ordered as separate items, rather than part of a set meal.
- This is our A La Carte menu: you can select as many items as you need.
- Minimum A La Carte order for delivery is two meals
- After a two-year hiatus, Avon Old Farms Inn restaurant has brought back its a la carte menus for lunch and dinner, and has resurrected its Sunday brunch.
As separately priced items from a menu, not as part of a set meal: wine and good food served à la carte
More example sentences
- In a Japanese restaurant in the U.S., many dishes may be ordered as "appetizers" to indicate that they are served "a la carte" -- not as a full meal. For example, a 'shrimp tempura appetizer' is just the tempura, no rice, no soup, etc
- These are the domain of those who want to eat Sushi, a la Carte
- Served with green beans almondine. Available a la carte.
Early 19th century: French, literally 'according to the (menu) card'.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: à la carte
Definition of à la carte in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.