Definition of aardwolf in English:
noun (plural aardwolves)
A nocturnal black-striped African mammal of the hyena family, feeding mainly on termites.
- Proteles cristatus, family Hyaenidae
- Aardvarks and aardwolves have this typical eutherian construction.
- The aardwolf is a undoubted termite specialist, lapping up exposed workers assembled along foraging trails.
- Even if pangolins are the sister group of carnivores, aardwolves are well nested within Carnivora in the family Hyaenidae.
Mid 19th century: from South African Dutch, from aarde 'earth' + wolf 'wolf'.
Definition of aardwolf in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.