Definition of aardwolf in English:
noun (plural aardwolves)
A nocturnal black-striped African mammal of the hyena family, feeding mainly on termites.
- Proteles cristatus, family Hyaenidae
- Aardvarks and aardwolves have this typical eutherian construction.
- The aardwolf is a undoubted termite specialist, lapping up exposed workers assembled along foraging trails.
- Even if pangolins are the sister group of carnivores, aardwolves are well nested within Carnivora in the family Hyaenidae.
Mid 19th century: from South African Dutch, from aarde 'earth' + wolf 'wolf'.
Words that rhyme with aardwolfwerewolf • Beowulf
Definition of aardwolf in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan