- 1A large herbaceous Philippine plant of the banana family that yields Manila hemp.
More example sentences
- Musa textilis, family Musaceae
- The abaca plant, a type of banana, grows in the Philippines.
- The principal cash crops are coconuts, bananas, pineapples, sugar, tobacco, and abaca.
- Important export crops are abaca, copra (dried coconut meat), pineapple, sugar, and tobacco.
- 1.1Manila hemp.More example sentences
- The shade papers are made from silk, banana, Kozo, mulberry, mango and abaca fibres.
- The Japanese defence ministry commandeered the country's supply of abaca (hemp).
- These Seattle sisters design placemats and table runners out of abaca fiber.
mid 18th century: via Spanish from Tagalog abaká.
More definitions of abacaDefinition of abaca in:
- The British & World English dictionary