Definition of abaca in English:
1A large herbaceous Philippine plant of the banana family that yields Manila hemp.
- Musa textilis, family Musaceae
- The abaca plant, a type of banana, grows in the Philippines.
- The principal cash crops are coconuts, bananas, pineapples, sugar, tobacco, and abaca.
- Important export crops are abaca, copra (dried coconut meat), pineapple, sugar, and tobacco.
- The shade papers are made from silk, banana, Kozo, mulberry, mango and abaca fibres.
- The Japanese defence ministry commandeered the country's supply of abaca (hemp).
- These Seattle sisters design placemats and table runners out of abaca fiber.
Mid 18th century: via Spanish from Tagalog abaká.
Words that rhyme with abacaseersucker • stomacher
Definition of abaca in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.