Definition of abalone in English:
An edible mollusk of warm seas that has a shallow ear-shaped shell lined with mother-of-pearl and pierced with respiratory holes. Also called ear shell.
- Genus Haliotis, family Haliotidae, class Gastropoda
- Brains of limpets and abalones are much simpler than brains of garden snails and slugs in histological differentiation.
- Otters mostly feed on invertebrates such as urchins, squid, octopus, crabs, abalone and other mollusks.
- However, the farms were started up only recently, and it takes about seven years for the abalone to reach a size where they may be harvested.
mid 19th century: via Latin American Spanish from aulun, from an American Indian language of Monterey Bay, California.
Words that rhyme with abaloneAlbinoni, Annigoni, Antonioni, baloney, Bodoni, boloney, bony, calzone, cannelloni, canzone, cicerone, coney, conversazione, coronae, crony, Gaborone, Giorgione, macaroni, Manzoni, Marconi, mascarpone, minestrone, Moroni, Mulroney, padrone, panettoni, pepperoni, phoney, polony, pony, rigatoni, Shoshone, Sloaney, stony, Toni, tony, zabaglione
Definition of abalone in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan