Definition of abalone in English:
An edible mollusk of warm seas that has a shallow ear-shaped shell lined with mother-of-pearl and pierced with respiratory holes. Also called ear shell.
- Genus Haliotis, family Haliotidae, class Gastropoda
- Brains of limpets and abalones are much simpler than brains of garden snails and slugs in histological differentiation.
- Otters mostly feed on invertebrates such as urchins, squid, octopus, crabs, abalone and other mollusks.
- However, the farms were started up only recently, and it takes about seven years for the abalone to reach a size where they may be harvested.
mid 19th century: via Latin American Spanish from aulun, from an American Indian language of Monterey Bay, California.
Definition of abalone in:
- British & World English dictionary