- Of or relating to an abbey, abbot, or abbess.More example sentences
- The boundaries were blurred to the extent that some kings themselves held episcopal or abbatial office.
- The wonder-working tour on which the monks sent their new relics certainly helped raise funds for their new abbatial church.
- ‘You know,’ came a patrician, abbatial voice from the back of the room, ‘I rather think we've got his head’.
late 17th century: from medieval Latin abbatialis, from abbas, abbat- (see abbot).
More definitions of abbatialDefinition of abbatial in:
- The British & World English dictionary