Definition of abbey in English:
noun (plural abbeys)
1The building or buildings occupied by a community of monks or nuns.
- Friaries were occupied by friars, abbeys were headed by abbots, priories by priors.
- There was a boom in the building of castles, abbeys, and priories.
- Aelred, a friend and follower of St. Bernard, defined holy friendship for the monks of his abbey.
1.1A church or house that was formerly an abbey.
- Her designs can be seen in the cathedrals of St Albans, Exeter, Salisbury and Wells, Bath and Sherborne abbeys, and many churches around the country as well as two venues in America.
- Our cathedrals and abbeys are better looked after than ever.
- Internally the decoration is of a type and standard more usually encountered in abbeys and cathedrals.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan