- 1Burning fiercely: his clothes were ablaze [as complement]: farm buildings were set ablazeMore example sentences
on fire, alight, aflame, in flames, flaming, burning, fiery, blazing• literary afire, igneouslit up, alight, gleaming, glowing, aglow, illuminated, bright, shining, radiant, shimmering, sparkling, flashing, dazzling, luminous, incandescentpassionate, impassioned, aroused, excited, adrenalized, stimulated, eager, animated, intense, ardent, fiery, fervent, frenzied
- Dozens of town and cities were affected with nearly 9,000 cars set ablaze and more than 3,000 people arrested.
- Terrorists also set ablaze several residences.
- The fire crew had been called to the woodland at 9.25 pm following reports of rubbish and debris being piled up and set ablaze.
- 1.1Very brightly colored or lighted: New England is ablaze with color in autumn • figurative his eyes were ablaze with angerMore example sentences
- Churches were ablaze with colour, and gold highlights glittered in the light of many candles.
- Festival lights are ablaze everywhere, and it's been raining nonstop for hours.
- To our amazement a train suddenly appears, three lights ablaze.
- 1.2Filled with anger or another strong emotion: in 1848 the whole of Europe was ablaze with revolutionMore example sentences
- Darcy looked up at him, his eyes ablaze with fury.
- He turned to face me, his eyes ablaze.
- The whole scene was ablaze with the most savage passions.