Formally put an end to (a system, practice, or institution): the tax was abolished in 1977
More example sentences
- The society added that abolishing the current system of debt recovery would discourage firms from advancing credit or lending money.
- Koreans are now divided over the sensitive issue of abolishing the system.
- He suggested that abolishing the current system would discourage firms from advancing credit.
put an end to, get rid of, scrap, end, stop, terminate, ax, eradicate, eliminate, exterminate, destroy, annihilate, stamp out, obliterate, wipe out, extinguish, quash, expunge, extirpate;
annul, cancel, invalidate, negate, nullify, void, dissolve;
rescind, repeal, revoke, overturn;
discontinue, remove, excise, drop, jettison
informal do away with, ditch, junk, scrub, dump
- Example sentences
- The Bad Guys were the European Union, the sexual liberals, the would-be abolishers of the pound and the Bureaucrats.
- I suppose they did not think that, having been published before the deluge, it could have safely survived that world-wide calamity, the abolisher of all things.
- But Ms Witheford, wary of having the ARM branded as abolishers of holidays, promised that when Australia became a republic the ARM would recommend a Republic Day holiday to be held on the anniversary of that frabjous day.
- Example sentences
- They demanded the abolishment of Ministry of Education Decree No.501 / 1993, which obliges female students not to cover their ears with their headscarves when taking photographs for their school IDs.
- And I would like the abolishment of the offside rule.
- Largely in this tradition, Marx believed that differences in economic wealth are the ultimate cause of human misfortune, and therefore needed abolishment, along with class society.
Late Middle English: from Old French aboliss-, lengthened stem of abolir, from Latin abolere 'destroy'.
Words that rhyme with abolishdemolish, spit-and-polish
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.