1The deliberate termination of a human pregnancy, most often performed during the first 28 weeks of pregnancy.
- She wished to end her pregnancy, but abortion was illegal in Texas except in cases of extreme danger to the mother.
- The Institute has also argued against abortion, euthanasia and human cloning.
- Let us keep the backyard abortionist out and legalised abortion in as a human right.
1.1The expulsion of a fetus from the uterus by natural causes before it is able to survive independently.
- Higher amounts of caffeine may be associated with increased rates of abortion and low birth weight.
- This may result in abortion, premature delivery or Congenital Rubella Syndrome.
- Abortion in a previous pregnancy predisposes to further abortions or stillbirths in subsequent pregnancies.
1.2 Biology The arrest of the development of an organ, typically a seed or fruit.
- Moreover, we did not observe increased levels of seed or ovule abortion in any seth mutants.
- High temperature conditions commonly cause flower abscission and seed abortion because of pollination failure.
- In cucumber, a correlation between fruit abortion and vegetative growth rate was also observed.
2An object or undertaking regarded by the speaker as unpleasant or badly made or carried out.
- He didn't bring up one single argument in respect to the abortion of a budget that was tabled this year.
- My introduction to advertising came to consist of thinking up such abortions as banana creme topping.
Words that rhyme with abortionapportion, caution, contortion, distortion, extortion, portion, proportion, retortion, torsion
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.