Definition of abrasive in English:
1(Of a substance or material) capable of polishing or cleaning a hard surface by rubbing or grinding.
- Therefore, two flute end mills are superior in softer more flexible materials and four or more flute cutters are generally preferred in very hard or abrasive materials.
- Remove shelves and sand them with medium and then fine abrasive paper to smooth surfaces roughened by water.
- Use a non abrasive cleaner to clean the surface followed by rubbing alcohol, which will remove any residue.
corrosive, corroding, erosive;
caustic, harsh, scratching, coarse
1.1Tending to rub or graze the skin: the trees were abrasive to the touch
More example sentences
- Nonetheless, any skin-care routine calls for a gentle cleanser - one that will not be abrasive to the skin.
- It is abrasive to the skin and may provoke allergic reactions.
- If the particles are not tiny enough, they will have an abrasive effect on the skin.
2(Of a person or manner) showing little concern for the feelings of others; harsh: her abrasive and arrogant personal style won her few friends
More example sentences
- The woman known for her sharp intellect and her incisive, sometimes abrasive, interviewing style had severe verbal difficulties after the accident.
- You may have been dealing with illness in the family, but something tells me you would have been this abrasive, arrogant and lacking in self-awareness anyway.
- Cashie was arrogant, abrupt and abrasive with the media at times.
caustic, cutting, biting, acerbic;
rough, harsh, hard, tough, sharp, grating, curt, brusque, stern, severe;
wounding, nasty, cruel, callous, insensitive, unfeeling, unsympathetic, inconsiderate
nounBack to top
A substance used for grinding, polishing, or cleaning a hard surface.
- Additionally, most metal polishes contain solvents and detergents to remove the tarnish, mild abrasives to polish the metal, and oils to act as a barrier between the raw metal and air.
- Never clean with abrasives, scouring powder or steel wool.
- Egyptians used bath oils, white powders, and abrasives to clean their teeth.
Words that rhyme with abrasiveevasive, invasive, persuasive, pervasive
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.