- 1.1 (also placental abruption) Medicine Separation of the placenta from the wall of the uterus, especially when it occurs prematurely during pregnancy.More example sentences
- All pregnant women should avoid cigarettes and cocaine, which contribute to abruption and certain other pregnancy complications.
- Studies suggest that women with this thrombophilia may not be at increased risk of blood clots during pregnancy, but they may be at increased risk of pregnancy loss and placental abruption.
- Other clinical problems associated with the placenta are placenta praevia, in which the placenta is located below the fetus, and placental abruption, in which the placenta separates prematurely from the wall of the uterus.
early 17th century: from Latin abruptio(n)-, from abrumpere 'break off' (see abrupt).
More definitions of abruptionDefinition of abruption in:
- The British & World English dictionary