- 1.1 [no object] Botany Separate by abscission; fall off.More example sentences
- For example, petals may wilt and abscise more rapidly after pollen deposition on the stigma or pollen tube growth through the style.
- The last bract on the spikelet axis has been removed from around the terminal flower, which has an aborted carpel with a two-branched stigma and the filaments of the two stamens, the anthers having abscised.
- In several species the flowers never close, as the petals abscise when the flower is still open.
More definitions of absciseDefinition of abscise in:
- The British & World English dictionary