Definition of abseil in English:
Another term for rappel.
- It was a refreshing change from the office and I tagged along as the team spent the next seven hours setting up anchor systems and despatching members off into pools of freezing water, with abseils ranging from seven to 65m.
- The caving expedition commenced with an abseil into the Elder cave system then through a gap (the first of many) which looked barely big enough to fit through the battery pack for the head lamps, let alone a whole person.
- Phase one began with a morning abseil down a 45m cylinder at Brisbane's Mount Crosby water treatment facility, followed by rafting in the afternoon.
- Example sentences
- Yesterday abseilers from Leeds Climbing Wall were lowered into the well at the tower - the last surviving part of York Castle - to collect coins thrown in by visitors.
- Some 28 anxious abseilers braved the morning's early cold and fog to trade their office desks, chairs and telephones for ropes, harnesses and the satisfaction of meeting a challenge.
- The four month project involves 12 abseilers supplied by Web Access Engineering to carry out work up to 100 ft off the ground.
Words that rhyme with abseilmonorail • headsail • resale
Definition of abseil in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan