Another term for rappel.
More example sentences
- It was a refreshing change from the office and I tagged along as the team spent the next seven hours setting up anchor systems and despatching members off into pools of freezing water, with abseils ranging from seven to 65m.
- The caving expedition commenced with an abseil into the Elder cave system then through a gap (the first of many) which looked barely big enough to fit through the battery pack for the head lamps, let alone a whole person.
- Phase one began with a morning abseil down a 45m cylinder at Brisbane's Mount Crosby water treatment facility, followed by rafting in the afternoon.
1930s: from German abseilen, from ab 'down' + Seil 'rope'.
- More example sentences
- Yesterday abseilers from Leeds Climbing Wall were lowered into the well at the tower - the last surviving part of York Castle - to collect coins thrown in by visitors.
- Some 28 anxious abseilers braved the morning's early cold and fog to trade their office desks, chairs and telephones for ropes, harnesses and the satisfaction of meeting a challenge.
- The four month project involves 12 abseilers supplied by Web Access Engineering to carry out work up to 100 ft off the ground.
Definition of abseil in:
- The British & World English dictionary