Definition of absolute value in English:
1 Mathematics The magnitude of a real number without regard to its sign. Also called modulus.
- Ignoring minus signs, thereby taking the absolute value, gives a two-part curve.
- In general, we say that the second component winds monotonically about the first, unknotted, component if the number of maximum points on the diagram equals the absolute value of the linking number.
- In other words, you can safely bet your life on the fact that for your sequence, the bigger N is, the closer the absolute value of the Nth number gets to the Nth power of 1.13198824…
2 technical The actual magnitude of a numerical value or measurement, irrespective of its relation to other values.
- To obtain relative values absolute values were divided by germination percentages obtained in water, and the result was multiplied by 100.
- We use dBm to express absolute values of power relative to a milliwatt.
- Figure 4 shows five-year moving averages of the mean absolute value of the ratio of the current account balance to GDP for twelve countries.
Definition of absolute value in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan