Definition of absolution in English:
1Formal release from guilt, obligation, or punishment.
- A review of some of the most noteworthy pardons in American history reveals a colorful assortment of Presidential absolutions.
- They don't need sympathy; they need absolutions.
- The apologies and absolutions at the end of the movie were rather trite and underdone.
1.1An ecclesiastical declaration of forgiveness of sins: the priest administered absolution
More example sentences
- After all, a priest doesn't provide absolution for sins about to be committed.
- In time the French Crusaders received papal absolution for their part in the business at Zara, but the Venetians did not.
- The Friar gives absolution for sins in exchange for money and flirts with the prettiest wives.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan