Definition of absolution in English:
1Formal release from guilt, obligation, or punishment.
- A review of some of the most noteworthy pardons in American history reveals a colorful assortment of Presidential absolutions.
- They don't need sympathy; they need absolutions.
- The apologies and absolutions at the end of the movie were rather trite and underdone.
1.1An ecclesiastical declaration of forgiveness of sins: the priest administered absolution
More example sentences
- After all, a priest doesn't provide absolution for sins about to be committed.
- In time the French Crusaders received papal absolution for their part in the business at Zara, but the Venetians did not.
- The Friar gives absolution for sins in exchange for money and flirts with the prettiest wives.
Words that rhyme with absolutionablution, allocution, attribution, circumlocution, circumvolution, Confucian, constitution, contribution, convolution, counter-revolution, destitution, dilution, diminution, distribution, electrocution, elocution, evolution, execution, institution, interlocution, irresolution, Lilliputian, locution, perlocution, persecution, pollution, prosecution, prostitution, restitution, retribution, Rosicrucian, solution, substitution, volution
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.