- 1The principles and practice of abstract art.More example sentences
- After the pictorial revolutions of Cubism and abstractionism, it was no longer possible to pretend that surface and structure could unproblematically be melded in the production of a representational picture space.
- And materialism is as much the enemy of art as abstractionism.
- I am convinced that anyone who admires abstractionism will take great pleasure in going deep into Zimmermann's world.
- 1.1The presentation of ideas in abstract terms.More example sentences
- On the one hand, the increasing use of abstract mathematical representations in Einstein's theory entirely supports the attack on Aristotelian abstractionism and philosophical empiricism.
- More example sentences
- So might this hypnotic, janglingly joyous painting, which at once distances itself from the astringent purism of New York's anti-nature abstractionists and predicts the way ahead, be a case of the pupil prophesying the master?
- It's easy to look at the work of great abstractionists of the 20th century and take the view that there is no skill, nothing special, no artistry in their paintings and that any idiot with a paintbrush could do the same.
- He missed out too on the critical polemicising of Clement Greenberg and his acolytes which ensured America sustained its cultural hegemony in the face of the tachistes and British abstractionists.
More definitions of abstractionismDefinition of abstractionism in:
- The British & World English dictionary