(also academism /əˈkadəˌmizəm/)
- Adherence to formal or conventional rules and traditions in art or literature: the opposition between academicism and creative authenticityMore example sentences
- All of modern art since the middle of the previous century had been based on rebellion against academicism and Ingres was the painter most associated with academicism.
- The homespun quality of his materials and processes reveals, rather than masks, a keen formal and historical sensibility, while also serving his devastating wit and cold eye for high-art academicism.
- But they are also rooted in the progressive academicism of Dickinson's teachers.
More definitions of academicismDefinition of academicism in:
- The British & World English dictionary