Definition of accented in English:
1Spoken with or characterized by a particular accent: he spoke in slightly accented English
More example sentences
- ‘You could say these movies show the limited imagination of the screenwriter,’ he says, speaking quickly in heavily accented English that is actually far better than he claims it is.
- If the clerk at the Swiss bank was surprised to answer the phone to a gruff, Middle Eastern sounding man speaking in heavily accented English, she did not show it.
- She waxes eloquent in accented English while he speaks chaste Urdu.
2(Of a word or syllable) marked with a stress or other accent.
- Specifically, tone is a pitch contour that begins on an accented SYLLABLE and continues to the end of a tone group: that is, up to but not including the next stressed syllable.
- My favorite part is the discussion, scattered throughout the work, of the interaction of lexical, morphological and phrasal factors in determining which syllables are accented.
- But the most dramatic departure is found in the final line, which contains two dactyls and a single accented syllable which we have to regard as the initial syllable of a third dactylic foot.
Definition of accented in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan