Definition of accipitrine in English:
Of or relating to birds of a family that includes most diurnal birds of prey other than falcons, New World vultures, and the osprey.
- Family Accipitridae; treated as a subfamily (Accipitrinae) in this sense when the osprey is included in this family
- The primary predators of all flock participants are accipitrine hawks (Accipiter cooperii or A. striatus).
- With so many details to remember, it is understandable that many birders are intimidated by this accipitrine affinity.
- In the research block, portraits of senior members of the Saudi royal family hang on the walls: impassive, accipitrine faces staring down upon the French scientists recruited to save the bird that is a royal obsession.
Definition of accipitrine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan