An organic compound formed by the condensation of two alcohol molecules with an aldehyde molecule.
- Acetals have the general formula R1CH(OR2)2, where R1 and R2 are alkyl groups
More example sentences
- Water, ethanol, volatile organic acids, aldehydes, esters, acetals, and ketones, many of them powerfully aromatic, are among the azeotrope components in wines.
- Experience in distilling aldehydes led us to believe that acetaldehyde would form acetals in the overheads of the low pressure column.
- The researchers have used supercritical CO 2 as medium for the conversion of alcohols to linear and branched ethers, to cyclic ethers, to aryl ethers and to acetals and ketals in good yields and, all-importantly, with high selectivities.
mid 19th century: from acetic + -al from alcohol, aldehyde.
Definition of acetal in:
- The British & World English dictionary