Definition of acetylate in English:
verb[with object] Chemistry
Introduce an acetyl group into (a molecule or compound): (as adjective acetylated) the acetylated forms of chloramphenicol
More example sentences
- Serotonin in this gland is acetylated, then methylated, forming melatonin.
- Histones (DNA packaging proteins) have lysine tails, which can be acetylated in a post-translational modification step.
- The N-terminal group was acetylated to reproduce the experimental conditions at which the protein was studied.
- Example sentences
- The acetylation of salicylic acid increased the potency of morphine by making the compound more soluble in brain fat and facilitating transfer across the blood brain barrier.
- This effect is consistent with the expected large reduction in electron density on the amino nitrogen upon acetylation thus making coordination with copper much less strong.
- Slowly, as researchers learned more about the structure of histones, it became evident that patterns of acetylation and methylation could be quite precise.
Definition of acetylate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan