noun (plural same)
A tropical American plant with tubular or trumpet-shaped flowers.
- Genus Achimenes, family Gesneriaceae
More example sentences
- We have trialed a number of achimenes for winter hardiness and are always thrilled when we find another cultivar to add to our list.
- It is the 7th of September and my achimenes is still in full bloom.
- The easiest bulb is achimeneswhich is actually a rhizome and so can safely be laid on its side.
modern Latin, either from Greek akhaimenis, denoting a different plant (euphorbia), or from a- 'not' + kheimanein 'expose to the cold'.
Definition of achimenes in:
- The British & World English dictionary