Entry from British & World English dictionary
A stony meteorite containing no small mineral granules (chondrules).
- Stones are divided into two main subcategories: chondrites and achondrites.
- It has been identified in carbonaceous achondrite and iron meteorites.
- There are a number of other achondrites that do not fit into any of the preceding groups or subgroups.
- Example sentences
- Stony-irons would then be samples from the boundary between the achondritic upper layers and the core.
- While still on the parent body, much of the achondritic material was formed by igneous processes similar to those occurring on Earth today.
- This means there are a lot of different groups and sub-types of iron meteorite and they can be related to both stony achondritic and chondrite meteorites.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: achon|drite
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.