Definition of achondroplasia in English:
A hereditary condition in which the growth of long bones by ossification of cartilage is retarded, resulting in very short limbs and sometimes a face that is small in relation to the (normal-sized) skull.
- This phenomenon has been described in osteogenesis imperfecta, achondroplasia and Duchenne muscular dystrophy.
- Since achondroplasia affects mainly cartilaginous bones (arms and legs), the sitting height is normal while the standing height is short.
- The 10-year-old is a huge sports fan and passionate Manchester City supporter but has been unable to compete in out-of-school contests in the past because of hereditary growth disorder achondroplasia.
- Example sentences
- In contrast to achondroplastic dwarfs, hypopituitary dwarfs often suffer from underlying metabolic health problems.
- He is also part of a group studying the problems of achondroplastic children and has particular interest in cervico-medullary compression and its treatment.
- The select committee came up with the scenario of an achondroplastic couple using preimplantation genetic diagnosis to select a child who shared their condition.
Definition of achondroplasia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.