Definition of achondroplasia in English:
A hereditary condition in which the growth of long bones by ossification of cartilage is retarded, resulting in very short limbs and sometimes a face that is small in relation to the (normal-sized) skull.
- This phenomenon has been described in osteogenesis imperfecta, achondroplasia and Duchenne muscular dystrophy.
- Since achondroplasia affects mainly cartilaginous bones (arms and legs), the sitting height is normal while the standing height is short.
- The 10-year-old is a huge sports fan and passionate Manchester City supporter but has been unable to compete in out-of-school contests in the past because of hereditary growth disorder achondroplasia.
- Example sentences
- In contrast to achondroplastic dwarfs, hypopituitary dwarfs often suffer from underlying metabolic health problems.
- He is also part of a group studying the problems of achondroplastic children and has particular interest in cervico-medullary compression and its treatment.
- The select committee came up with the scenario of an achondroplastic couple using preimplantation genetic diagnosis to select a child who shared their condition.
Definition of achondroplasia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan