- A bacterium that is used to make yogurt and to supplement the intestinal flora.
More example sentences
- Lactobacillus acidophilus, a Gram-positive rod-shaped bacterium
- The use of Lactobacillus acidophilus and other probiotic bacteria to maintain intestinal health and good digestion is on the rise.
- For instance, Lactobacillus acidophilus - a harmless bacterium that resides in your intestines - helps you digest food, destroys some disease-causing organisms and provides nutrients to your body.
- Probiotic foods contain bacteria such as Lactobacillus acidophilus or Bifidobacterium, bacteria that are thought to be capable of surviving digestion, and of being introduced into the large intestine.
1920s: modern Latin, literally 'acid-loving'.
More definitions of acidophilusDefinition of acidophilus in:
- The British & World English dictionary