- 1A poisonous plant of the buttercup family, which bears hooded pink or purple flowers. It is native to temperate regions of the northern hemisphere.
More example sentences
- Genus Aconitum, family Ranunculaceae: many species, including monkshood and wolfsbane
- This would allow for the use of a variety of familiar medicinal herbs, including poisonous plants like aconite.
- Other plants in the fragrant garden include a cherry plum which is allegedly a remedy for stress and anxiety and aconite, a toxic plant which in small doses is claimed to be good for colds.
- Saturn also rules over many of the herbs that are potentially poisonous or toxic (eg., aconite, helleborus, nightshade).
- 1.1An extract of aconite, used as a poison or in medicinal preparations.More example sentences
- The Three Arterial Sedatives: veratrum, aconite and gelsemium.
- In fact baking or cooking for a long time in pressurized hot water can help to neutralize the toxic aconitum in raw aconite.
- In the Book of Venoms, he listed arsenic, aconite, hellebore, laurel, opium, bryony, mandrake, leopard's gall, and menstrual blood.
mid 16th century: via French and Latin from Greek akoniton.
More definitions of aconiteDefinition of aconite in:
- The British & World English dictionary