(also acquired character)
- A modification or change in an organ or tissue during the lifetime of an organism due to use, disuse, or environmental effects, and not inherited.More example sentences
- The theory of inheritance of acquired characteristics postulated by Jean-Baptiste Lamarck early in the 19th century is undergoing a surprising revival, albeit in modified form.
- The giraffe is often used as an example of contrast between Lamarck's idea of acquired characteristics with Darwin's natural selection.
- The details of this theory need not concern us, except to note that it was ‘Larmarckist’ in its contention that it is possible for organisms to inherit acquired characteristics.
More definitions of acquired characteristicDefinition of acquired characteristic in:
- The British & World English dictionary