Definition of acrophobia in English:
Extreme or irrational fear of heights.
- Carla develops acrophobia (fear of heights), which makes it difficult for her to take elevators, park her car, or do flagpole sitting.
- For example, a person may have several spirits of acrophobia (fear of heights).
- Less common is acrophobia, ‘fear of heights‘; this derives from the Greek ‘akros’ for a thing that is topmost, or at the tip or extremity of something.
- Example sentences
- Mark is acrophobic and allergic to nuts as well as mushrooms.
- I'm pathologically acrophobic, so it was always extremely difficult for me.
- A high school reunion is pretty much about nothing but memory, so it's like an acrophobic going skydiving.
Pronunciation: /-ˈfōbik/adjective& noun
Definition of acrophobia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan