Definition of acropolis in English:
1A citadel or fortified part of an ancient Greek city, typically built on a hill.
- The actors seldom move: they are like tortured figures on a frieze in a besieged acropolis.
- There are remains of an acropolis located on a hillside with magnificent views.
- On the acropolis is a smaller walled-in area where a ruined Byzantine chapel lies over the foundations of the Temple of Athena.
1.1 (the Acropolis) The ancient citadel at Athens, containing the Parthenon and other notable buildings, mostly dating from the 5th century bc.
- Pericles was the force behind many of the buildings on the acropolis, including the Parthenon itself.
- If you have the time, you should take a donkey ride up to the ancient acropolis, with its restored Temple of Athena inside the Knights ' Castle.
- The NationalGeographic Society made a generous contribution toward the excavation of the acropolis and the theater.
Definition of acropolis in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan