- (In literary theory) a person, creature, or object playing any of a set of active roles in a narrative: the room has become an actant, a surrogate for the heroine herselfMore example sentences
- Successful actor-networks are built by enrolling the heterogeneous actants as active participants in a common project.
- As Swapan Chakravorty has observed, the characters in A Chaste Maid in Cheapside are the result of a ‘shuffling [of] the old actants and indices’ of Middleton's earlier plays.
- These four steps describe the interactions between three actants (abstract representations of characters and their functions): the Subject, the Object and the Sender.
More definitions of actantDefinition of actant in:
- The British & World English dictionary