- A protein that forms (together with myosin) the contractile filaments of muscle cells, and is also involved in motion in other types of cells.More example sentences
- Muscle contraction is dependent on two proteins, actin and myosin.
- As the cells round up, actin and myosin moieties are being redistributed underneath the plasma membrane.
- Striated muscle contraction is regulated by a protein complex bound to actin.
1940: from Greek aktis, aktin- 'ray' + -in1.
More definitions of actinDefinition of actin in:
- The British & World English dictionary