Definition of actinomorphic in English:
Characterized by radial symmetry, such as a starfish or the flower of a daisy. Compare with zygomorphic.
- Determining the orientation of an actinomorphic flower seems impossible in ebractate taxa.
- The large, showy flowers are actinomorphic, with a bowl-shaped corolla made up of 5-8 pinkish-red petals.
- This group is composed by eight species belonging to four families with nectarless, dish-shaped and actinomorphic flowers, which are showy, and yellow- or pink-colored.
- Example sentences
- If all parts are equally spaced around the centre, the flowers are radially symmetrical, a condition termed actinomorphy.
- According to the theory, the primeval features are: actinomorphy, hermaphroditic polymer flower with an apocarpous gynoeceum.
- The presence of five stamens is always associated with actinomorphy (radial symmetry) of the corolla (Ramonda, Thamnocharis, Bournea, Tengia, Conandron, Bellonia, Napeanthus p.p.).
Definition of actinomorphic in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan