- A technique and style of abstract painting in which paint is randomly splashed, thrown, or poured on the canvas. It was made famous by Jackson Pollock, and formed part of the more general movement of abstract expressionism.More example sentences
- Contributing to the fiery emotions the artist may have wished to convey in the canvas, this residual evidence of action painting also added a sense of urgency to the entire exhibition.
- The circus tent was an Ur-theatre, a space combining collage, action painting, live actors, Expressionism, Surrealism.
- In short, it is the last period in which Americans walked like gods in the old world, spreading the gospel of jazz and action painting and William Faulkner and Humphrey Bogart.
More definitions of action paintingDefinition of action painting in:
- The British & World English dictionary