Entry from British & World English dictionary
Definition of active citizen in English:
A person who actively takes responsibility and initiative in areas of public concern such as crime prevention and the local community.
- The revival of Oldham must begin with active citizens and empowered communities prepared to take responsibility.
- There is no reason why scourges such as lingering poverty, drugs, violence, crime and prejudice cannot be dealt with by active citizens of vibrant communities.
- Neighborhoods of homeowners - whether in a city or a suburb - become something more than collections of houses; they evolve into communities of active citizens.
- active citizenship noun
- Example sentences
- It will be all about preparing young people for the active citizenship which the winners of this year's awards have so ably shown.
- Volunteers will receive a discount in their council tax bills as part of a drive to build a new culture of active citizenship and moral responsibility, the Labour manifesto will say this week.
- The problem is there hasn't been a major initiative to increase active citizenship and allow people to take on their responsibilities.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.