Definition of active duty in English:
1Full-time service in the police or armed forces.
- In May 1940, the service recalled him to active duty for the wartime emergency.
- You're not allowed to blog about the war critically if you are an active duty serviceman over there.
- But there are nearly three million active duty service men and women and millions more veterans.
1.1The playing of a direct role in the operational work of the police or armed forces as opposed to doing administrative work.
- Officers due for suspension have often in practice remained on active duty at the same police station in which the offence was committed.
- An initial tour in the Army could consist of time spent in the National Guard and on active duty.
- Officers continue on active duty and receive all regular pay and allowances from the Army.
Definition of active duty in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan