- 1(With reference to something unpleasant or unwelcome) intensely: the whole situation was acutely embarrassingMore example sentences
- In fact, the wielder may suffer more acutely than others.
- Regulations allow a maximum of 55 gallons of hazardous waste or 1 quart of acutely hazardous waste at each satellite accumulation area.
- She was recently admitted to hospital with an acutely painful, swollen knee.
- 2In a way that shows a perceptive understanding or insight: we are all acutely aware of the fragility of our worldMore example sentences
- The General sits in his lifeless castle, the decadence of his environment acutely described.
- Leibniz, for all his Aristotelian credentials, was not acutely aware of the Aristotelian Problem of First Principles.
- Charged with leading Dominique's disciples, he is acutely conscious of the limits imposed on their potential for accomplishment.