noun[as modifier] Chemistry
- A radical of general formula —C(O)R, where R is an alkyl group, derived from a carboxylic acid: acyl groupsMore example sentences
- These spectra are similar to those obtained for multilamellar vesicles made of lipids with deuterated acyl chains.
- The insertion of the hydrophobic acyl chains into the lipid bilayer forms a putative fourth cytoplasmic loop.
- This fold gathers the hydrophobic residues such that the acyl side chains have a reduced exposure to water.
More definitions of acylDefinition of acyl in:
- The British & World English dictionary