Definition of adder's tongue in English:
1A widely distributed atypical fern that has a single pointed oval leaf and a straight unbranched spore-bearing stem.
- Genus Ophioglossum, family Ophioglossaceae, in particular O. vulgatum
- In it grow such ferns as adder's tongue fern, bog fern, Christmas fern, crested fern, Goldie's fern, maidenhair fern, New York fern, ostrich fern, and spinulose woodfern.
- The general conclusion was that the impact of the first year's cattle grazing had helped the adder's tongue fern to thrive.
- Since they sprout from perennial caudices, the adder's tongue ferns were presumably established in the chamise understory.
Definition of adder's tongue in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.