Definition of adder's tongue in English:
1A widely distributed atypical fern that has a single pointed oval leaf and a straight unbranched spore-bearing stem.
- Genus Ophioglossum, family Ophioglossaceae, in particular O. vulgatum
- In it grow such ferns as adder's tongue fern, bog fern, Christmas fern, crested fern, Goldie's fern, maidenhair fern, New York fern, ostrich fern, and spinulose woodfern.
- The general conclusion was that the impact of the first year's cattle grazing had helped the adder's tongue fern to thrive.
- Since they sprout from perennial caudices, the adder's tongue ferns were presumably established in the chamise understory.
Definition of adder's tongue in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia