Definition of adenine in English:
A compound that is one of the four constituent bases of nucleic acids. A purine derivative, it is paired with thymine in double-stranded DNA.
- Alternative name: 6-aminopurine; chemical formula: C5H5N5
- There are four types of nucleotides in DNA, each containing one of four bases - adenine, guanine, cytosine, or thymine.
- Causes and effects The structure of thalidomide is similar to that of the DNA purine bases adenine and guanine.
- The strands consist of sugar and phosphate groups, the sugars being attached to a base - adenine, thymine, guanine, or cytosine.
Late 19th century: coined in German from Greek adēn 'gland' + -ine4.
Definition of adenine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.