Definition of adenoids in English:
A mass of enlarged lymphatic tissue between the back of the nose and the throat, often hindering speaking and breathing in young children.
- Close to the front opening of the Eustachian tubes are masses of tissue called adenoids.
- Even though some children may need surgery, it's important to remember that enlarged adenoids are normal in some children.
- Enlarged adenoids can also be caused by repeated chest infections or allergies, but in other cases the cause is unknown.
- Example sentences
- I hear that high, adenoidal voice that sounds like 50 other kids who have that same adenoidal voice.
- Some listeners will probably find his voice a bit adenoidal for their tastes.
- Mike's pinched, adenoidal tenor gave a little bite to the verses of their songs, but they were defined by Brian's angelic falsetto on the choruses.
Definition of adenoids in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan