Definition of adjoint in English:
1Relating to or denoting a function or quantity related to a given function or quantity by a particular process of transposition.
- He then went on to consider the case where the kernel is not symmetric and showed that in that case the eigenfunctions associated with a given eigenvalue occurred in adjoint pairs.
- For the case of a finite-dimensional real linear space these are infinite systems whose adjoint cone is topologically closed.
- Suffice it to say that adjoint functors pervade mathematics and this pervasiveness is certainly one of the most mysterious fact that category theory reveals about mathematics and probably thinking in general.
nounBack to top
An adjoint matrix, function, or quantity.
- He reproved the earlier results and gave new results of his own on minors and adjoints.
- The Smoluchowski diffusion equation, represented as the eigenvalue equation for the adjoint of the diffusion operator, has been solved by computing averages obtained along with the MD statistics.
Definition of adjoint in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.