Definition of adobe in English:
1A kind of clay used as a building material, typically in the form of sun-dried bricks: [as modifier]: adobe houses
More example sentences
- Most notably, the Pueblo Indians in the Southwest used adobe masonry to moderate weather extremes and keep their homes comfortable.
- Wild West history abounds in Mesilla, where adobe buildings dating to the 1800s are still in use as shops and galleries.
- Tombstone, an easy day trip from Tucson, does however offer one vision of Arizona's pioneer days: clapboard and adobe buildings, and, of course, re-enacted gunfights.
1.1A brick formed from adobe.
- By the time we started laying the adobe, it was mid-May and over 100 degrees every day.
- Prehistoric tribes experimented with the first sun-dried bricks or adobe, mixing mud with straw into manageable building blocks.
- When paint can get into the adobe, then it hardens in there, and it makes it cling better than anything.
1.2US A building constructed from adobe clay or bricks.
- Eastern senators extolled the peace while Senor Villa descended on the tents & adobes of the 13th Cavalry, Columbus, New Mexico
- Stroll the main drag, Third Street, past restaurants and shops selling gifts and antiques, all housed in old adobes and low, false-fronted wood buildings.
- The market is strong, with recently built adobes starting at around $180,000.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan