Definition of adoptive in English:
1As a result of the adoption of another’s child: he is the adoptive father of his wife’s three children
More example sentences
- One of the questions I'm often asked as an adoptive mom is whether I'll "let" Alex find her biological family - almost as if I'd have a choice if she wanted to do so.
- She admits she was never interested in finding out more about her father until her adoptive father died last year, aged 95.
- His adoptive mother says the 12-year-old charms everyone he meets - although he often tries their patience with his enormous energy.
1.1Denoting a country or city to which a person has moved and in which they have chosen to make their permanent place of residence.
- His final resting place was his beloved adoptive country - Singapore.
- To the emigrant Irish and to their adoptive countries, the shamrock logo represented all that was best in Irishness.
- At the 2000 Games, she won the silver medal for her adoptive country in the first women's Olympic pole vault.
- Example sentences
- It resembles the immunosuppression caused by UVB at the cellular level in that it is adoptively transferable.
- This state of unresponsiveness could be adoptively transferred to partially immunosuppressed recipients.
- Elmets and Bowen noted their immunosuppression was adoptively transferable.
Definition of adoptive in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.