Definition of adoptive in English:
1As a result of the adoption of another’s child: he is the adoptive father of his wife’s three children
More example sentences
- One of the questions I'm often asked as an adoptive mom is whether I'll "let" Alex find her biological family - almost as if I'd have a choice if she wanted to do so.
- She admits she was never interested in finding out more about her father until her adoptive father died last year, aged 95.
- His adoptive mother says the 12-year-old charms everyone he meets - although he often tries their patience with his enormous energy.
1.1Denoting a country or city to which a person has moved and in which they have chosen to make their permanent place of residence.
- His final resting place was his beloved adoptive country - Singapore.
- To the emigrant Irish and to their adoptive countries, the shamrock logo represented all that was best in Irishness.
- At the 2000 Games, she won the silver medal for her adoptive country in the first women's Olympic pole vault.
- Example sentences
- It resembles the immunosuppression caused by UVB at the cellular level in that it is adoptively transferable.
- This state of unresponsiveness could be adoptively transferred to partially immunosuppressed recipients.
- Elmets and Bowen noted their immunosuppression was adoptively transferable.
Definition of adoptive in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan