1As a result of the adoption of another’s child: he is the adoptive father of his wife’s three children
More example sentences
- We spent most of the session talking about her relationship with her adoptive father, Eric.
- Obviously it is easier on the child and adoptive parents if the child is adopted at an early age.
- My adoptive mother gave me a copy of his obituary and three pictures of my father and told me the story.
1.1Denoting a country or city to which a person has moved and in which they have chosen to make their permanent place of residence.
- His final resting place was his beloved adoptive country - Singapore.
- To the emigrant Irish and to their adoptive countries, the shamrock logo represented all that was best in Irishness.
- At the 2000 Games, she won the silver medal for her adoptive country in the first women's Olympic pole vault.
- Example sentences
- It resembles the immunosuppression caused by UVB at the cellular level in that it is adoptively transferable.
- This state of unresponsiveness could be adoptively transferred to partially immunosuppressed recipients.
- Elmets and Bowen noted their immunosuppression was adoptively transferable.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of adoptive in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.