Definition of adoptive in English:
1As a result of the adoption of another’s child: adoptive parents
More example sentences
- As a teenager, he had been contacted by his brother's adoptive parents and had been able to forge a new relationship with him.
- Is it about a man forging a new relationship with his adoptive mother?
- We spent most of the session talking about her relationship with her adoptive father, Eric.
1.1Denoting a country or city to which a person has moved and in which they have chosen to make their permanent place of residence.
- His final resting place was his beloved adoptive country - Singapore.
- To the emigrant Irish and to their adoptive countries, the shamrock logo represented all that was best in Irishness.
- At the 2000 Games, she won the silver medal for her adoptive country in the first women's Olympic pole vault.
- Example sentences
- It resembles the immunosuppression caused by UVB at the cellular level in that it is adoptively transferable.
- This state of unresponsiveness could be adoptively transferred to partially immunosuppressed recipients.
- Elmets and Bowen noted their immunosuppression was adoptively transferable.
Definition of adoptive in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan