Definition of adrenal in English:
Of, relating to, or denoting a pair of ductless glands situated above the kidneys. Each consists of a core region ( adrenal medulla) secreting epinephrine and norepinephrine, and an outer region ( adrenal cortex) secreting corticosteroids.
- Aldosterone, a steroid hormone produced in the outer layer of the adrenal cortex, promotes renal sodium retention and potassium loss.
- There remains only a limited source of female sex hormones after the menopause, by conversion of androgens secreted by the adrenal cortex.
- Epinephrine is produced and released from the adrenal medulla in the kidney (ie, endogenous).
noun(usually adrenals) Back to top
An adrenal gland.
- Reflexologists say these areas are connected to the adrenals, pituitary glands and uterus, respectively.
- The hormone from the pituitary gland that prompts the adrenals to produce steroids is called adrenocorticotropic hormone.
- The adrenals are triangular glands that sit atop each kidney.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia