- Of, relating to, or denoting a pair of ductless glands situated above the kidneys. Each consists of a core region ( adrenal medulla) secreting epinephrine and norepinephrine, and an outer region ( adrenal cortex) secreting corticosteroids.More example sentences
- Aldosterone, a steroid hormone produced in the outer layer of the adrenal cortex, promotes renal sodium retention and potassium loss.
- There remains only a limited source of female sex hormones after the menopause, by conversion of androgens secreted by the adrenal cortex.
- Epinephrine is produced and released from the adrenal medulla in the kidney (ie, endogenous).
noun(usually adrenals) Back to top
- An adrenal gland.More example sentences
- Reflexologists say these areas are connected to the adrenals, pituitary glands and uterus, respectively.
- The hormone from the pituitary gland that prompts the adrenals to produce steroids is called adrenocorticotropic hormone.
- The adrenals are triangular glands that sit atop each kidney.
More definitions of adrenalDefinition of adrenal in:
- The British & World English dictionary