Definition of adventitia in English:
The outermost layer of the wall of a blood vessel.
- The outer layer of veins comprises the tunica adventitia.
- The arteries were most susceptible, with bruising of the intima and adventitia and separation of the media from the vessel walls.
- There is an intense inflammatory reaction concentrated primarily in the adventitia of this blood vessel with some extension into the tunica media.
Late 19th century: from modern Latin (tunica) adventitia 'additional (sheath)'.
- Example sentences
- Aneurysmal development is caused by weakness in the muscular tunica media and stretching of the tunica intima and adventitial layers.
- The inclusions may also be found in the adventitial cells of blood vessels.
- Intimai proliferation and adventitial thickening may further reduce the cross-sectional area of the pulmonary vascular bed.
Definition of adventitia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan