Definition of advice in English:
- They were giving it out to customers as well as offering advice on the benefits of tap water over bottled water.
- There are too many powerful men who truly believe that the Waltons offer dandy advice on life and morals.
- Every week, it seems, women are offered ever more expert advice on how to manipulate their men.
- Suppliers of medical services also have immediate access to their remittance advices which results in a paperless environment.
- Cheques and remittance advices were raised mostly in alphabetical order, as per the purchase ledger.
- We quote below a message which will represent your first advices in connection with this incident.
- Last evening a gentleman arrived here from Providence, by whom we are favour'd with the following, fresh advices from the northern army.
- From this deplorable apathy Cortes was roused by fresh advices urging his presence in Mexico.
- A few days before the arrival of the news of peace, he received private advices from the Continent which led him to anticipate it.
Middle English: from Old French avis, based on Latin ad 'to' + visum, past participle of videre 'to see'. The original sense was 'way of looking at something, judgment', hence later 'an opinion given'.
- Obtain information and guidance, typically from an expert: he should take advice from his accountantMore example sentences
- Then I take advice from experts and they confuse me even further.
- The two critical ingredients to the balance between giving advice and taking advice are talent and respect.
- If you are seriously taking advice from him then you shouldn't vote at all.
- (usually take someone's advice)1.1 Act according to recommendations given: he took my advice and put his house up for saleMore example sentences
- She said she did not know how many senators had taken his advice.
- He was not bound to take anyone's advice.
- Burris said he would not be taking Durbin's advice to resign.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.